Wednesday, December 22, 2010

New York Pride and Road Rage... strangely similar



New Yorkers are known for their aggressive driving style. Weaving in and out of slower cars. Speeding by the elder. Not stopping for pedestrians. Road rage. It's kind of what we're known for.

Earlier this morning I had to run an errand in San Francisco. On my way back to Oakland, right after merging on to the Bay Brdige, a Red Jeep Laredo started frantically honking at me, then hastily switched lanes, drove up right next to me, and gave me this stare down/point. I was actually kind of terrified. I thought this man was sending me some kind of death threat. I hadn't done anything wrong. I didn't cut him off. I wasn't being the asshole driver I am sometimes known to be. But I was scared. Maybe this guy was having an awfully terrible day?

In desperate need of a lane switchage (the car in front of me was driving painfully slow), I relocated myself to behind the RJL, making sure to keep my distance so as not to further piss him off. Once I was behind the RJL I saw a big old Yankees bumper sticker. This made me giggle and goofily smile. I had mistaken this man's seemingly angry eye contact and point move he made earlier for road rage, when it was actually his way of saying "Go New York!" (I still have my NY license plates).

I gave the the man in RJL a big thumbs up and a smile as I continued to weave through the rest of the slowly moving California drivers.


And, so, New Yorkers are aggressive. Whether they're driving or just trying to share in their New York pride with another, there's nothing passive about any of it.

3 comments:

  1. New Jersians are worse about driving and everything, really. But yea, New York pride... I feel like 9/11 helped legitimize it's excesses.

    Anyways....

    LETS FAWKIN GO, NEW YAWK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just another "friendly" New Yorker trying to get in your face.......... Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes yes yes. new york/east coast solidarity on the west coast is pretty, uh, solid out here.

    ReplyDelete