Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Le Origins of Le Sigh

So I've seen more and more recently the use of "Le Sigh" by people online. They're bored, sad, feeling a little melodramatic, whatever, and they express this with "le sigh." I have no problems with this at all. In fact I think it can be rather "cute" or something. Whatever. However, I don't think that most people are aware of the origins of this term. Contrary to popular belief, some super geeky emo blogger did not create this term. Perhaps it was some geeky emo blogger who first started using this term in the blogosphere- though I cannot confirm nor deny this. But I can confirm that the origins of "Le Sigh" is that of the one and only Pepe Le Pew cartoons. Yup, the Looney Tunes cartoon. Well, to be more accurate, it was actually from Merrie Melodies. I do have my overgrown child as a mother to thank for this knowledge. My mom loves these cartoons, so naturally they were a pretty large part of my childhood. In fact, as strange as this may seem, my mom used to pretend she was Pepe Le Pew going after me, her pussy cat. What? It's not creepy. I was little. It was cute. It was a game my mom and I played. No funny stuff. You're just gross.

Anyways, here is a classic Pepe Le Pew cartoon featuring the infamous "Le Sigh."* It's featured in the first 45 seconds of the clip, so no need to watch the whole thing if you don't want to, but I, of course, recommend that you do. This is Mel Blanc we're talking about!



*While searching for the perfect clip, I found that there are tons of these cartoons on youtube and daily motion. Didn't realize how readily available they are.

1 comment:

  1. the video isn't available. do you know what cartoon episode it was?

    ReplyDelete